Baking chocolate chip cookies can be a great family activity. So can eating freshly baked cookies! Unfortunately, tastey bakings can often mean high amounts of sugar and fat. Likely more than what you are looking for in the typical diet.
Meg's Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe substitutes some common ingredients without loosing any of the flavour. Now that's a win win!
Typical traditional recipe contains the following ingredients:
- White flour 2 cups
- White sugar 1.5 cups
- Butter ¾ cup (12 Tablespoons)
- Salt ½ tsp.
- Baking Soda 1 tsp.
- Chocolate chips 1-2 cups
Meg's Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe:
- White flour 2 + cups - cut white flour in half and add a whole
grain/flour such as whole wheat, oatmeal, barley, spelt, brown
rice, quinoa flours (or a combination of) =
*Use 1 c. white and 1c. whole grain in recipe
*might need a bit of extra liquid
*adds fiber and nutrients
- White/brown sugar 1.5 cups combined -can cut sugar by 1/3-1/2= Use ¾ - 1 c. sugar in recipe
- Butter ¾ cup (12 Tablespoons) - fat can be cut ⅓ - ½
Use 6-8T butter in recipe
- Salt ½ tsp. - can eliminate all together given butter and baking soda contain salt, or cut in ½ using ¼ tsp salt
- Baking Soda 1 tsp.
- Chocolate chips 1-2 c. - quality dark chocolate healthiest option as contains less sugar and more nutrients than milk chocolate (more processed and more sugar added). Recommend 1 cup chocolate chips and can add ½-1c. dried fruit for more sweetness, moisture, texture, flavor, nutrients (raisins, craisins, dates, apricots, etc.)
- Can also add some nuts pecans, walnuts, almonds for crunch, protein, fiber, healthy fats, minerals
- Heat oven to 375°F. In small bowl, mix flour, flour substitute, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat softened butter, sugar, sugar substitute with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon about 1 minute or until fluffy, scraping side of bowl occasionally.
- Stir in flour mixture just until blended (dough will be stiff). Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Onto ungreased cookie sheets, drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Store covered in airtight container.
We all know that it may be often difficult to stop at one cookie. Meg's Healthy Chocolate Chip Recipe is a wonderful way to give your family a healthy snack.
Managing nutritional needs may seem complicated with all of the information out there. What types of food? How should our food be prepared? Having a nutritional coach to help find answers that best meets our individual needs may be the answer.
To learn more about Meg's nutritonal coaching services click here. We hope you enjoy this recipe for yourself, family and friends.
Check Out This Video Of Meg's Recipe