Acupuncture therapy has started getting acknowledged for its endless benefits to the human body.
Although, many people are still hesitant when it comes to this therapy due to the thought of having fine needles getting inserted into their body, there are many that are opting for it.
Since acupuncture therapy is a big deal, it is important that everyone getting it is aware of certain DOs and DONTs related to it.
- Make sure you are not on an empty stomach; eat something light before your treatment.
- You must tell the acupuncturist if you have consumed alcohol, smoked tobacco or had caffeine.
- Wear loose fitting clothes before and after the treatment.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before your appointment and try not to run.
- Make sure to urinate before you step in for your appointment.
- There will be a lot of paperwork, so be prepared.
- Mentally prepare to be in the hospital for at least 1-hour. The needles while be inserted in you for at least 30 minutes.
- Stay calm and relaxed during the treatment.
- Try to stay away from your phone during the treatment.
- If you need to cancel or postpone your appointment, it is important you call 24 hours in advance.
- You need to pay very close attention to if and how your pains have lessened or the symptoms, if the pain that you were feeling has changed, or has there been any pain relives or mood changes.
- Avoid multitasking during your treatment.
- You must not –at any cost- move your body when the needles are in.
- Do not go to your treatment on an empty stomach or after indulging in a heavy meal.
- Do not take too much physical, emotional, or mental stress upon yourself after the treatment.
- Avoid all toxic substances during the day of your appointment.
- Do not smoke after the session because it will slow down the healing power of your body.
- You must not soak your body or go for a swim for at least 1 hour after your treatment.
The majority of these tips are made so you can stay protected before, during, and after your treatment. For example, swimming or bathing after a treatment is not advised because the microscopic holes that have been pierced into your body can cause infections.
Some of the suggestions that we have listed allow practitioners to get to accurate diagnoses. Drinking a cup of coffee before the treatment will stain your tongue and add a coat on top of it.
This could lead to inaccurate diagnoses and make your heart beat faster. Practitioners rely on the tongue and pulse when doing the diagnosis, which is why avoiding it before a treatment is recommended. Moreover, caffeine increases “firing of cortisol” that leads to feeling greater levels of pain.
Simply by doing and avoiding the tips mentioned above will allow you to gain maximum benefits out of your acupuncture session!
To book your next acupuncture therapy session, give our clinic a call @ 780-455-2112 and our helpful staff will find a time that works for you.